More than 570,000 vehicles are being recalled by Ford in North America and Europe to fix issues that cause engines to catch fires and doors to open unexpectedly.
In a Wednesday filing with securities regulators, Ford said that the recalls will cut pretax earnings by $295 million which will hit the company’s bottom line in the first quarter of this year.
Over 360,000 vehicles in North America and Europe are covered in the engine fire recall. This includes in North America the Escape SUVs from the 2014 model year, plus the 2014 and 2015 compact Fiesta ST, the 2013 and 2014 Fusion midsize car and the 2013 through 2015 Transit Connect small van.
While in Europe the recall covers the 2010 through 2015 C-Max hybrid and Focus small car, and the 2013 through 2015 Transit Connect van. All the vehicles have 1.6-Liter four-cylinder turbocharged engines.
According to Ford, a lack of coolant circulation could cause the engine to overheat, creating a crack in the cylinder head, which could lead to pressurized oil can leaking through the crack, which if hits a hot surface, it could cause an engine fire. There are 29 reports of fires in the U.S. and Canada, but no injuries.
Spokeswoman Elizabeth Weigandt said car owners can continue to drive the vehicles safely and park them in garages or other structures. For will send customers instructions by mail from the owner’s manual on how to check and refill coolant. Dealers also will check coolant levels for owners. If vehicles leak coolant or overheat, they should be taken to a dealer.
According to Weigandt, dealers will install a coolant level sensor and a warning light on the dashboard telling owners if the coolant level is low, given that parts are available. She was unaware whether the company will fix coolant leaks, but said she would check
211,000 vehicles are added to a 2015 recall to replace faulty door latches by Ford. That recall covers the 2014 Fiesta and the 2013 and 2014 Fusion and Lincoln MKZ. This addition brings the total from the 2015 recall to nearly 757,000.
During the past three years, door latches have been a major problem for Ford vehicles. They resulted in investigations by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and recalls of over 3 million vehicles.
Last fall, Ford recalled more than 2.3 million vehicles because their door latches weren’t working properly, which included the 2012-2015 Ford Focus and the 2013-2015 Ford Escape and C-Max.
Ford recalled 692,700 Escape SUVs in May 2014, from the 2013-2014 model years because their doors didn’t latch properly.
The latest recall is due to a pawl in the door latch that could break, which either stops the doors from closing or causing them to open while the cars are being driven. Ford states that it’s unaware of any crashes or injuries involving the vehicles added to the 2015 recall.
Last year door latch recalls cost the company $640 million.