Great Scottish Run Half-Marathon Discovered to be Too Short

The Great Scottish Run half-marathon course in 2016, was found to be around 150 meters too short after re-measurement on Sunday.

After some competitors raised concern about the distance during the 2016 Great Scottish Run half-marathon, organizers re-measured the Glasgow route on Sunday and discovered that was indeed 149.7 meters too short.

What Does This Mean?

Over 32,000 athletes participated in the Bank of Scotland Great Scottish Run half-marathon last year on October 2nd.

This discovery ultimately invalidates the record set by Callum Hawkins, the winner of the marathon, as well as the personal best times recorded by several runners from the marathon.

Apologies to the Athletes

The Great Run Company has publicly apologized to all runners as well as the winner, Calum Hawkins, about this miscalculation.

Race director Andy Mitchelmore said: “Great Run take responsibility for the miscalculation and we apologize unreservedly to the runners and to the City of Glasgow.”

“This was an isolated incident, In the 30 years since the company was formed, more than four million people have participated in hundreds of our running events and the distances, which are measured by qualified independent parties, have been correct.”

What Went Wrong?

According to the organizers, the miscalculation was due to human error, with two problems identified. The first was that the prescribed route in Bellahouston Park was not followed properly, which resulted in a shortfall of about 50 meters.

The second error was due to the difference between measuring on closed roads compared to measuring on unclosed roads.

During the initial measurements in August before the marathon, the distance was measured when the roads were unclosed- “due to essential utilities works affecting the course.” This reportedly makes it easier to assume the exact line athletes will take.

However, when the roads are unclosed, they have to remain mindful of safety and follow the “legal rules of the road.” The roads were unclosed during the actual marathon.