Police Officer Killed, Suspect Fatally Shot After 12-Hour Standoff

After a grueling 12-hour standoff in Tacoma, Washington, a 38-year-old man suspected of killing a police officer Wednesday afternoon was killed.

The Tacoma County officer, whose name was not yet released, was responding to a domestic dispute with another officer, when the suspect fired two bullets shortly after answering the door.

Unexpected Situation

It was not made clear what led to the shooting, but a “shots fired” call rang over police radio shortly after the officers’ initial call for backup.

Multiple law enforcement agencies in the area responded, resulting in a standoff lasting into the early hours of Thursday morning.

Two individuals, the shooter’s wife and another woman, managed to escape before the standoff began.

Unknown to the public at the time, two children remained inside while the suspect had barricaded himself inside the three-story house.

A SWAT team rescued the children after the man was shot, around 4 am local time.

Veteran Officer’s Fate

The officer was taken to a nearby hospital, where fellow officers lined the streets, somberly waiting for news about the fate of their colleague. Despite efforts, the 45-year-old, 17-year police veteran did not survive.

“We’ve suffered a great loss and I think the community has suffered a great loss. I don’t know how to put that into words other than to say that everyone here appreciates the kind thoughts and the prayers that are going out to us,” police spokesperson Loretta Cool stated to reporters.


Kristy Crosky, one of the individuals who was in the house during the initial shooting, managed to flee the home before the standoff began.

In conflicting interviews, she told KING 5, a local TV station, that she used to live in the house and was there to collect some of her personal items. However, she told a different station that she owns the east-side estate and often attended church with the suspect and his wife.

Crosky said, “I don’t want to hear anything about black lives matter, because all lives matter….I want to say the Tacoma Police Department handled this matter with such professionalism.”

On social media, law enforcement officers and Washington’s governor, Jay Inslee, all mourn the death of the officer, who is the 11th to die in the line of duty in Tacoma.