On Saturday, a 14-year-old boy was charged by police for his role in an alleged gang rape of a 15-year-old girl that was streamed on Facebook Live last month.
A missing girl:
The boy’s name was not released by police due to his age. According to Chicago Police spokesman Anthony Guglielimi, he’s charged with aggravated criminal assault, manufacturing of child pornography, and dissemination of child pornography
Eddie Johnson, Police Superintendent has scheduled a news conference on Sunday to discuss the ongoing investigation.
On March 21, police announced that they were searching for five to six individuals for the assault of a girl who had gone missing on March 19. She was found by Chicago detectives two days later. According to police, a day later, the girl’s mother approached Johnson as he was leaving a news conference and showed him screen grabs of the attack.
The video was viewed by dozens of people, however, no one called authorities. It has been since removed from Facebook.
Johnson said that after the girl was reunited with her family, they were subjected to taunts and harassing messages online.
In a statement, the department said that it has worked with the State Attorney’s Office and the city of Chicago to provide support for the family to ensure the girl’s safety and well-being.
This is one of several high-profile violent incidents that have been broadcast on Facebook’s and Twitter’s livestreaming platforms.
Four young African-Americans in Chicago were charged in the alleged torture and beating of a white teen who suffers from schizophrenia that was broadcast on Facebook Live in January. Prosecutors used the livestream to make the case that the boy was the victim of a hate crime.
Facebook Live footage is expected to be used in the high-profile shooting death of a motorist, Philando Castile. The aftermath of the controversial shooting was streamed by Castile’s girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, who along with her daughter were passengers in the vehicle. The trial of the officer, Jeronimo Yanez, is tentatively scheduled to begin May 30, he’s charged with second-degree manslaughter and two counts of dangerous discharge of a firearm.