Southwest Airlines has announced yet another delay in returning the grounded Boeing 737 Max to service.
The airline now says it has taken the Max off its flying schedule until Aug. 10, due to continued uncertainty around the timing of the jetliner’s return to the skies. Southwest had previously removed the Max from its schedule through June 6.
The move is an acknowledgement that the troubled plane won’t be ready for much of the peak summer travel season.
Southwest said that without the Max planes, it will drop about 371 flights each weekday from its normal schedule of more than 4,000 daily flights. That is a far higher number of cancellations than at other airlines, which don’t own as many Maxes.
Boeing is making changes in flight-control software and other systems on the plane after crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia killed 346 people. The aircraft maker faces several more steps before winning FAA approval to resume flights, including pilot training.